Thursday 6 September 2007

Linux




I'd like to run GNU/Linux on my PC. My reasons are:
a. Cheap in money terms (can be expensive in time terms)
b. I enjoy messing about with computers so time cost not a terrible thing
c. Microsoft have allegedly done some pretty shady things. It would be good to get a non-MS operating system giving them some competition


I want my PC to do the following
1. Let me surf the WWW and send emails (webmail makes both of these the same) * I may want to connect to a WiFi hotspot e.g. at a coffee shop. I have a Centrino laptop
2. Let me create documents & spreadsheets (google docs makes these the same as 1). I need to be able to output the documents in MS Word format, as anyone who has dealt with an IT recruitment agency will appreciate.
3. Let me watch DVDs and media files, even propretary formats like Youtube and Windows media


There may be some problems with using a "hard-core" open source operating system because sometimes manufacturers will only give out closed source drivers. I am happy to use these as being the best choice available, although I would prefer my free operating system to be totally without restrictions.

|

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com