Thursday 6 December 2007

Daytona all season grips

I've only just got these, will edit next week when I can give a proper opinion on whether they've changed my motorcycling life for the better. I'm happy with the grips, they had some pretty cheap looking stickers round the ends but these came off without leaving any trace. The switch isn't too pretty either, a little box with a three position dial on it which bolts onto the handlebars. Well, what's important is whether I can still feel my fingers after an hour in the cold. Cost me nearly 55 quid (plus fitting) from Hunts on Kingsway.

But to be honest I wouldn't have gone there if I'd got better hearing. I thought they charged £35 per hour for fitting and I wsn't too happy when the bill showed £45 per hour. They thought it was pretty amusing though and had a bit of a chat amongst themselves about who could remember back to the days when they only charged £35 per hour. Since the most expensive of their competitors still charges £35 per hour I'm unlikely to be back there for any mechanical work. At least I got a free coffee, though I should have had about 30 coffees to get my money's worth.

** EDIT **
After a few hundred miles and some very cold mornings I have to say that these have made riding all Winter very possible. On 'full' they are too hot, on 'normal' they aren't warm enough but switching between these two setting is not a big deal and it works okay. Yes, my palms stay hotter than the outside of my hands and on a realy cold day I couldn't ride for hours. But I can certainly do a half hour commute and feel fine. I award these grips four and a quarter fingers out of a possible five